Back to School Storytime

                                 

 Hello my librarian friends! Today I thought I'd share some of my story time picks for the beginning of the school year. These are books I've read for orientation in the library as a starting point for the whole year, and because I read the same book to all the grades I look for a new book every year. What books do you start the year with? Let me know in the comments. 


The New LiBEARian is a cute book about story time. A group of children are looking for the librarian to start story time but instead find a bear who they think is the new librarian and ask him to read the book for them. Story time takes on a whole new format with the New LiBEARian. It's It's wonderfully funny book and a great way to introduce kids to story time.





The Library Dragon is another great library book. This time the mean old librarian won't let students do anything fun in the library because they might damage the books but with the help of some students the Library Dragon learns to share her hoard. A cute book to introduce my role in the library though I am sure to remind them that unlike the librarian in the book I don't breath fire.





A great way to introduce library behavior is If You Ever Want to Bring a Circus to the Library DON'T. This book is all about what would happen in the library if you bring a circus to it, because as the sign says You can do anything in the library. My students loved this story and it really got us talking about how to behave in the library and why bringing a circus to the library is a bad idea.





The last book I want to talk about is We Don't Eat Our Classmates. Penny the T-rex is starting school and she has a terrible habit of eating her classmates because they taste sooo good. This is my favorite of all the books on this list. I know it's not about the library but I still used it as a segue into behavior because I love this book and I will always recommend it to any one who want's a fun read aloud and it doesn't even need to be the beginning of the year.


So there are some of the my favorite starting books. Have you used any of them in your library?



Comments

Popular Posts