January 2022 Reading Wrap Up

 Hello Reader Friends! This year I'm going to try doing a monthly reading wrap-up to tell you about the books I've read.

This month I've finished 7 books some I loved some were alright and some I had to slog through. Here is a breakdown of what I read and how many stars I gave it and why.

 

First up Lore by Alexandra Bracken. I really enjoyed this book while it started out a little slow for me once the story got underway it was non stop action and I had trouble putting it down. I always enjoyed Greek Mythology and this book brought a whole new dimension to it. I loved the characters and I was rooting for them from the get go. I gave this one 4/5 stars because of the slow beginning but other than that I definitely would recommend this book to fantasy lovers.

The next book I read was the second book in the Arlo Finch series. This is a middle grade book about a boy named Arlo who joins a Ranger group and finds out that the world is a little more magical than he thought and that he was more magical than most. It's a great series about family friendship and discovering the wonders of a hidden world. I really enjoyed this book and it was a quick read but it was also a little predictable and didn't keep me on the edge of my seat which is why I gave this book 4/5 stars.

Next I read another middle grade book Anya and the dragon by Sofia Pasternack. Anya's family is about to lose their home so we she encounters a family working for the Czar in search of a dragon near her home she agrees to help them. This book had everything dragons evil dragon slayers and a nice story about friendship and family which should have been a recipe for a great book but for me it fell short. The characters were ok the story was ok the dragon lore was lacking but overall it was an enjoyable read which is why I gave it 3/5 stars.

This next book was the one I had trouble getting through while trying to get through this one I read 2 other books. I'm talking about Deacon King Kong by James McBride. Now even though I had trouble getting through it doesn't mean it wasn't a good book. I really enjoyed McBride's writing style and the story was interesting and funny but it just was not my cup of tea. It dragged on and some parts seem a little disjointed. Overall I gave this book 2/5 stars but I can also see why it is an award winner.

One of the books I read while reading Deacon King Kong was Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie. I can always rely on Agatha Christie for a great read and Death on the Nile didn't disappoint. Poor Poirot was forced to solve another murder while on vacation this time a rich socialite while on her honeymoon on the Nile. This book had a great cast of characters and I loved how their lives turned out in the end. I read this book in one setting and loved every second of it so you would think I would give it 5 stars but sadly I figured out who the killer was way before Poirot so for me that makes it lose a star so Death on the Nile gets 4/5 stars from me.

The other book I read while slogging through Deacon King Kong was Midsummer Mayhem by Rajani LaRocca. This was a cute book about a girl who loves baking somehow ends up making her friends and family act weird after eating something from her. It is a lovely book with baking and mayhem and was a cozy middle grade novel. I liked the characters and the baking concoctions but it just wasn't good enough to get one more star so for me it's 3/5 stars.

The last book I finished this month was Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson. This book reminded me of my childhood when I loved skating around the neighborhood. Though roller derby is not something I would ever have done I enjoyed learning about it alongside the main character. Beside the roller derby camp it told a great tale about growing up and learning how to be a good friend. I can see why my students have read this one over and over. It was a great tale and gets 4/5 stars from me.


So those were the books I read this month. What have you read this January let me know in the comments.

Comments

Popular Posts