February 2022 Reading Wrap Up

Hello Reader Friends! It's time to share the books I read in February of 2022! This month I only completed 6 books one done from last month and 4 of them were fairly short but I really enjoyed all the books I read this month.


                                         

First up was the Storm Runners series by Roland Smith. A Chase Masters and his father travel around the USA chasing natural disasters. His father and his friend Tomas use the disaster to make money by helping to rebuild after the disaster. When hurricane Emily starts heading to Florida so does Chase and his dad. they arrive in Florida and bunk down on a farm that takes care of circus animals when they aren't traveling and that's when things go wrong. Forced to battle the elements Chase has to help two girls find their way to shelter in the middle of the storm while his dad battles the elements trying to get to his son. 

The book is an action packed adventure filled with lions and tigers and bears...oh my. I enjoyed every second of the wild ride. But besides trying to survive the elements their is great character driven moments with father and son learning to see each other in new ways. There is a lot packed into these tiny books and honestly in my opinion they shouldn't have been broken up into three books and should have been all in on book. I'm giving this book series 4/5 stars because it was such a fun read and I wanted to get to the next one as fast as possible.

Not the Witch you Wed was given to me as an Audio ARC by NetGalley and Dreamscape Publishing. I would love to gush about this book some more but I already gushed about it on StoryGraph so I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote:

    "This is the tale of two gorgeous supernatural creatures coming together to turn the entire supernatural community on its head. Violet the magicless firstborn of a triplet group is told that ancient dictates that she find herself a mate or be mated to a person of the council's choosing. Link Alpha of the North American Pack is told he needs to find a mate before his 33rd birthday or be forced into a band with a person of the Elder Board's choosing. So they each turn to their high school sweetheart turned enemy, to help buy themselves some time to find a way out of their predicament. 

I loved this book! The characters were great. Link's unwavering belief in Violet sent my heart aflutter. Violet was a strong independent woman with a heart of gold. And the secondary characters were fantastic too. Bax being the overprotective Angel friend, Harper being the encouraging succubus friend and of course, Violet's sisters being supportive of her and just standing together with her against the world. Not to mention the kickass grandmother who pulls everyone together. 

One thing that some might not like is how predictable the story was. I knew from just a few chapters in how the book was going to go. But this did not detract me from enjoying the heck out of this book. 

I should also mention the awesome job the narrator did on the audiobook. I knew straight away who was talking because of how she was so consistent in the voices she used for each character. " 

I gave this book 4/5 stars.

Mighty Jack by Ben Hatke is a middle grade graphic novel. It's a fast and easy read. Jack is tasked with taking care of his autistic, nonverbal sister Maddie, for the summer while his mother works two jobs trying to keep a roof over their heads. When Maddie speaks for the first time asking Jack to sell their mother's car for a box of seeds he does. It sends Jack and Maddie set out on an adventure like nothing ever seen before. The seeds create a magical garden when they plant it and with the help of their neighbor, Lilly, the 3 kids start fighting back against the vegetation.
I read the Zita the Space Girl books last year so when this was checked in I took a moment to read it. I really liked this new take on Jack and the Beanstalk. I had a lot of sympathy for Jack, he was just trying to make his sister happy and things just kept getting out of hand. If you love Ben Hatke's work I would recommend you read this series too. 4/5 stars for a fun adventure and a battle between man and man eating plants.

                                               
The final book I read this month was book two of the Skullduggery Pleasant series, Playing with Fire. In this second installment Valkyrie Cain and Skullduggery Pleasant work together with their friends to prevent an escaped criminal from bringing back the Faceless Ones who will destroy the world as we know it. A great Noir type detective book filled with magic and a well dressed skeleton.
If you haven't read book one I suggest you go and do that because this middle grade series is worth it. I read the first book some years ago and finally got around to reading this one and I regret waiting so long. Skullduggery is an action hero who happens to be dead but that doesn't stop him from trying to save the world. I love the cast of characters even the evil ones. I don't really want to give anything away so I'm just going to say I loved it. 4/5stars.

    So those were the books I read in February. Most of them were a short but worth the read. Let me know if you read any of these books. Do you agree with my rating? What did you like or didn't like? Share your thoughts in the comments.

Comments

Popular Posts