Review: TJ Young and the Orishas: The Gatekeeper's Staff by Antoine Bandele


 

Hi Reader Friends I'm back with another NetGalley review. As always my reviews are honest and fair.

This time I'm reviewing an audiobook version of TJ Young and the Orishas: The Gatekeepers Staff. Because it's an audiobook I'll be adding a new section that will have by opinion on  the narration separate from my review of the books plot.

Blurb:

TJ Young comes from a powerful Nigerian magical family on his mother's side. His sister was the powerful prophesized Promise Child that will bring make the missing king of the Orishas. But, sadly her sister died in battle and TJ puts it upon himself to find the truth about his sister's death. Only problem is TJ barely has any magic, so instead of going to the powerful magical school he is sent to reform camp to help him hone what magic he has. There TJ finds out amazing friends and learns the truth about why his power is so weak. But will he find out what happened to his sister? What is really going on in the magical community and who is the bad guy?

Review:

I loved this book. TJ is a great character he tries hard to get his magic to work and he is a good friend to Manny and Joshua. I really enjoyed the story though I have come to some conclusions about what is really going on, I won't know till I read the second book. If I'm proven right the book winds up being predictable. But, that doesn't detract from enjoying the story.

I will definitely recommend this book to students, I've already but it on order for next year. I don't know if I can wait that long to read the next books so I might  purchase the second book for myself just so I can find out what happens next.

Audiobook:

This was a great audiobook! Nekia Renee did a fantastic job of narrating the different voices and was fantastic at expressing the various emotions that come up in the book. I also loved the added sound effects at various points made the book come alive for me.

Tags:

  • Family
  • Magic
  • African Folklore
  • Good vs. Evil
  • Mythology
  • Fantasy
  • Adventure
Rating:



Comments

Popular Posts