Count Me In by Varsha Bajaj



 

Hey Reader Friends! Count Me In from my Summer Reading Challenge is a must read!

Book Talk Blurb:

Karina is a lucky girl she has family who love her and her grandfather (Papa) just moved in. When Papa starts tutoring Chris the boy next door Karina sees that he isn't as bad as she thought, and she now has a new friend. Sadly, things take a sad turn when Papa, Chris and Karina are walking to the car after a tutoring session. One moment they are sharing silly rhymes the next an angry bigot beats up her grandfather and tells him to "Go home!" Now Karina sees a side of the world she has never truly seen before. Will she let the hate bring her down or will she rise up against it?

Book Review

This is such a powerful book! I read it in just a couple of hours, but the emotion it brought out! I cried so much while reading it. I love how Karina didn't let the hate filled attack stop her from being herself. She took a horrible angry act and turned it into a positive movement about how just because the color of your skin is different doesn't mean that your are any less American. I loved how the community banded together to share their support. I loved how Chris finally stood up to that horrible Quinn and realized that he didn't need to be friends with him in order to be accepted. A truly moving book!

As a Muslim American I thankfully never experienced such a devastating attack but I have seen a lot of hate when I lived in the States. From weird looks to hateful comments I've been there. But, I also saw some amazing acts of kindness and acceptance. Like the lady outside of Starbucks who said my Hijab was beautiful, or the nice lady at Target who went out of her way to say Happy Eid. Because, I'm someone who has experienced this juxtaposition I really engaged with Count Me In. This book brought tears to my eyes and I would recommend it to everyone who asks for a recommendation. This book needs to be read by everyone.

Tags:

Diversity

Inclusion

Own Voices

Family 

Friendship

Acceptance

Racism 

Rating




Comments

Popular Posts