Found on the Shelf

 

Hey Friends! Have you ever gone to a library and picked out a book and realized that their was something wrong with it? Well you are not alone and even Librarians find things that aren't right with their books.

As you may now I choose a bunch of books to read this summer from my library in order to prepare for my master's research project. You can read more about it here. Well, some of the books I chose were books that didn't get checked out a lot and now I know why. There are two books in particular that spring to mind. 

First is Makoons by Louise Erdrich. At first glance their is nothing wrong with it until you read the small print underneath the title: Book Five of the Birchbark House Series.
That doesn't seem too ominous until you realize that is the only book we have in the series. Where is the rest of it? Who knows. I'm not quite sure what we were thinking when we purchased this book but I'm pretty sure we zoned out some where in the process. Suffice it to say we will be ordering the rest of the series soon and hopefully no one else will notice this lapse in judgment.

The second book thankfully was not user error but publisher error. On our shelves is the book Max Cassidy Escape from Shadow Island by Paul Adam. While reading the book, all the way up to page 216, I realize that we have moved back in time to page 185.
Then once we've reached 216 again we jump forward in time to page 233.
Where those missing pages went I don't know, but it definitely detracts from the reading experience. Was the book good despite it's flaws? Yes. Will I be repurchasing it? Yes, and hopefully our next copy will be without errors.



Comments

Popular Posts